Friday, July 20, 2012

Caroline's Nursery

If you've followed my blog for long, then you know I never thought I'd see the day (pre-arrival that is) that Caroline's nursery would get completely finished. Well, I'm ecstatic to say that not only is her nursery finished, but I even finished it before she got here! Thanks to Pinterest, I couldn't stop tackling projects (and dragging my family, especially my mama, into tackling projects along with me). NONE of the furniture in her nursery was purchased new. In fact, most of it was in one or more of my family members' baby rooms, my own included. Thanks to my family and the fact that they NEVER throw anything out, we saved SO much money, and I think gave Caroline's nursery a very vintage and individual character.


Unfortunately, I didn't think to do any before pictures of the furniture, but oh well. This dresser was in my room at my parents house for quite a few years when I was growing up and it was a sort of dull yellow to start out with. I cleaned it off, sanded it and put about three coats of white paint on it before I got it the way I wanted it, but I love the wavy front and deep drawers and it couldn't have turned out better. Luckily, it had already been painted because my parents would normally cringe at the thought of me painting wood furniture. The pulls and keyholes are original to the piece.


Her crib has always been white, so I just had to touch up the chips, then put one coat to shine it up a bit. This was my dad's crib, then I used it as a baby, and all three of my sister's kids used it as well. Now it's all cleaned up and ready for Caroline to get here!The crib skirt and bunting were both projects my mother and I took on. The skirt was pretty involved, but the bunting was pretty simple by comparison and probably would take most people a couple of hours from start to finish.


The chest of drawers may be my favorite piece in the whole room, which is funny because it probably needed the most help to start out with. It is another piece that was in my room as a baby. If I remember the story correctly, it was originally painted blue and cream, since my parents thought I was a boy before my arrival. Once that was obviously not the case, the blue was changed to pink drawers. I took off the old knobs, painted the pink drawers gray and the cream parts of the chest white to match the rest of the furniture. I purchased the crystal knobs from Lowe's for about $4.50 apiece. I couldn't love it any more!


The little side table was my Aunt Helen's. It was in my shop that I had a couple years back and was originally a wood finished, but pretty scratched up. Again, sanded it, a couple coats of gray paint, and good as new.




The elephant and hippo prints were drawn by my dad :) and the glider and ottoman were my sister's. She got the set when she had her son about 13 years ago. It had a blue and white pattern covering it, so mom and I slip-covered it, and then I did the no-sew knotted pillow cover with some leftover crib skirt fabric. The pink afghan, my mom made, she's made one for every grandchild. I'm so happy with this room. It's the first room in our house that I've done completely by myself. Most of our furniture was already in the house when I moved in since Juston had already lived here a few years before we got married. I've definitely added the "home" element to our house, but I had so much fun conceptualizing then actually completing our sweet girl's room.



Ruffled curtains, Woven baskets and Rug~ Pottery Barn Kids
Muslin Crib Sheet~ Aiden and Anais
Crib Bumper~ Babies R Us
Changing Pad Cover~ Mia Bella, Etsy
Wall Monogram~ Trendy Trimmings by Andrea, Etsy
White Frames~ Wal-Mart

No comments:

Post a Comment