Saturday, December 28, 2013

Anti-Resolutions


I don't know about y'all, but I always love the feeling of hope and renewal that comes with welcoming a new year. Since Christmas just breezed right on past, I'm focused more on New Years now and trying to hone in on where it is I want to concentrate my efforts and time in the coming year. 

2013 has been a very wonderful year and I will hate to see it come to a close, but I'm also very excited to welcome 2014. Am I the only one who feels like it should be like 2003 instead of 2014? The days drag on but the years fly by as my hubby says. I digress. 


Anyway, on to the point of this post, resolutions. A lot of us make them, and most of us break them. Having worked for so many years in the fitness industry, I am all too familiar with the gym bandwagoners who descend on the weight room January 1 only to disappear one by one until just the regulars are left by March.  


A sad but true reality is that most people don't see their resolutions through to completion, whatever they may be and I'm no different. Some years I make resolutions and some years I don't, but when I do, they're probably similar to anyone else's. 

January 1: I'm going to shop less and save more.
January 2: Ohhh, J Crew Factory is having a sale!

January 1: I'm going to eat less sweets.
January 4: Honey, I baked this chocolate chip pound cake :)

January 1: I'm going to be more patient and stop cussing.
January 1, 12:05: Shiiit, this computer is being so damn slow!!!!


You get the point. I start out with the best of intentions, but most of the time it just fizzles out. I think it's likely a lack of accountability. I tend to do better with Lent commitments of giving things up. I feel accountable to God when it's for Lent. hah. So, my plan for this New Years is to resolve not to make resolutions. I'm going to set concrete goals instead. Some of which I'll share here in order to give myself that accountability. I'd recommend that anyone looking to succeed with goals or resolutions or whatever you want to call them do the same. Instead of saying, "My resolution is to lose weight," try saying "My goal is to run a 5K that's in my town on March 1," or "I will pay off X amount of $ from my student loans by June 1 by paying $X per month more." Give yourself a concrete, measurable goal instead of an ambiguous resolution and you're setting yourself up to see a successful 2014. I like to check back in monthly as well. I'm a journal keeper when I can find the time and at the start of each year, I start a new journal with page one being my list of goals. Having them in writing allows me to reassess along my journey as well. 


2013 started with 15 goals and I accomplished 10 of them. Not bad, but I want to do even better in the coming year. Anything that I don't complete on the list carries over to the New Year if it still applies. One of the goals I didn't accomplish from this past year was taking my cheerleaders to Nationals but I can't carry that one over since I'm not coaching anymore for the time being. 'Run a 5K' has been on my goal list for at least the last 4 years and this year, I finally stopped making excuses and just did it, so that satisfaction of marking that one off was immense. 2014's list will include running a 10K, possibly a half marathon but I haven't completely wrapped my mind around that one yet. 

I'm still compiling my Goal List, but when I get it all ready, I'll share it here and plan to check in every month or so, especially since I have some specific health and fitness goals that I think could be helpful to others by sharing. Here's to a fabulous 2014!







No comments:

Post a Comment