Saturday, January 4, 2014

Purpose is the Word

I've started my Goal List for 2014, and thus far, I'm up to seven. Some are related to health and wellness, some are spiritual, some are introspective and some are surface goals. I continually add to my Goal List through the year and like to revise and edit as needed. I feel like the underlying current in all of it though is living with more purpose.  I felt kind of lost for a long time after I had Caroline. I felt like my body wasn't mine anymore both from having her and from nursing (which I'm still working on that whole weaning thing ), I felt like I was losing my mind from a lack of sleep many days and I just felt meh, for lack of a better way to put it. Maybe I was post-partum or maybe it's just something most women go through after having a baby, but I felt like I was just sort of going through the motions and that's just not me. I finally started to more like myself around 12 months or so and it's only getting better. It's really made me take a look inward at what I want for myself in the coming days and weeks and my goals for 2014 reflect that. I try to make most of them measurable, but not all are. My goals so far are as follows:

1. Spend less purpose-less time online. 

Since I got my iPhone (I was late to the party and only traded in my Blackberry last spring) I feel like I'm constantly scrolling Instagram or checking Twitter or just wasting time somehow, some way on that thing and I'm missing out on what's going on around me. It's time to detach. I don't plan on doing a whole hiatus because I don't have that type of self control, but I am going to use the time I allot myself online each day wisely. Saving it for Blog posts, catching up with friends and updating my shops. The goal is to give myself ten minutes in the morning and thirty minutes in the evenings once my workouts are completed and the house is picked up.

2. Read my Bible in its entirety. 

I've never really set out to do this before, and I'd really like to find a Bible study group in town, but it's something I'm looking forward to doing this year. I'm also on the hunt for some good devotional books, recommendations welcome :) My mom has mentioned wanting to do this as well so hopefully we can do it together. 

3. Be more PATIENT.

Honestly, this should sit at number one on my list of goals. I'm horribly impatient...with myself, with my husband and worst, with Caroline. I get so caught up in wanting to have my house cleaned up for company, wanting things to be done a certain way or wanting to be a certain place at a certain time that I can't just sit back and relax. So it's my goal this year to learn to be more patient by trying to be more mindful of my time and through meditation. I used to meditate every day. Nothing major, just five minutes in the morning and five minutes before bed to clear my head and just breathe deep. What it did for me though was it was a way to check myself throughout the day. If I found my blood pressure rising, I'd just take a few deep breaths and bring it back. So I'm working on it. 



4. See things from Caroline's perspective.

The world really is an amazing place if you just stop and look around. So I'm trying to take it one step farther by trying to look at things through my daughter's eyes. Her little eyes that are seeing it all for the first time and exploring and trying to figure everything out. It really makes even the most mundane things very wondrous if you look at it from a child's perspective. My husband is very good at doing this with everyone he meets and I think that's one of the things that I love so much about him. In this regard, I will try to be more like him. 




5. Run.

For years, even when I was training for figure competitions, I always said "I hate running. I'll never be a runner." I tried and tried, but I just could not run a mile to save my life. Well, this past year, running a 5K was on my goal list and I ran four in three months. I'm not really sure when it clicked for me, but I went from hating it to craving it on days I couldn't run. My goal for this year is to do more 5K's, focusing on cutting my time down, as well as to run a 10K. 



6. Organizational Sundays.

I hope to spend Sundays planning things out for the week and organizing accordingly, starting with meal planning and prep. I also plan out my workouts for the week on Sundays. I want to choose one space in the house to organize each Sunday as well, starting at the front entrance and working my way through the house. 

7. Rock my 12 Week Challenge.

My friend and I are on a mission to lean out and lose some serious body fat. At my regular off season body fat before I quit training for figure competitions, I usually sat around 18-20%. Right now, I'm at 27% :( womp womp. Having my friend on board with the challenge we set has already helped me just one week in. She's holding me accountable. We don't even work out together, but we text out workouts from the day to one another at night and it is such a great way to stay motivated. I'm one week in so far and feeling great. I've missed the muscle soreness. My goal is to get my body fat back around 22-23% and to really bring out the definition in my body again. This cross-training will also be a huge complement to running longer distances. I'll post my workouts at the end of each week to hole myself more accountable and in case anyone wants to join in. 

This year is already off to a great start, just spending it at home with family. I'd be perfectly content to do that everyday. But we're looking forward to some exciting travel ahead, catching up with friends and making memories. One day at a time.


10 comments:

  1. What a great post and an awesome blog! Glad I found you through this link. I love your list...each one has so much truth behind it, especially #4...Caroline's perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm loving the link up! Checking out your blog now ;)

      Delete
  2. Great Post! Happy New year!

    -Meg

    babydolan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And a very Happy New Year to you, too :)

      Delete
  3. Great post, and I so agree with a lot of it!! It is so hard to unplug and to be patient! I'm cheering you on, momma!!

    wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! I just followed your blog! I love it :)

      Delete
  4. Love you blog.. Just found it from the link up :)
    http://thewilliamsjourney1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm checking out all the link up blogs slowly but surely too! Just heading to yours now!

      Delete
  5. Man you're more ambitious than me! I've set a goal to make a dent in the New Testament this year. Perhaps, maybe I should bump it up to at least the whole thing. I'll save the old testament for next year... haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm starting with the New Testament! But I like the way you think! Haha

    ReplyDelete