Thursday, October 16, 2014

Canning

You may have read about our raised garden that we planted for the first time this past spring/ summer. Well, I ended up with an unbelievable amount of cucumbers and tomatoes, more than we could possibly eat before they ruined and even after giving many away, we had a ton left over, so I decided it was time to try my hand at canning. I've done a little bit of this in the past with my mom's help, but it was the first time I've ever made homemade pickles.

After doing a batch of bread and butter, I still had a lot of cucumbers left over, so I decided to do some dill pickles as well. I found my recipes on www.food.com and will link to them below. Both were a huge hit with everyone who tried them and out of 10 jars, I only had one that didn't seal properly. I'm already excited about doing this again next summer and trying some more new things.

 I also tried canning my homemade tomato soup from some of our fresh tomatoes but that failed. I neglected to think about the fact that the recipe had fresh whipping cream in it. In my mind, I thought, "Well, I buy tomato soup in a can at the grocery, so I can obviously can my own." Not exactly. After sitting for about a week, it molded. I do think I could have frozen it as opposed to canning and it would have worked out great. Live and learn :)












 I'm looking forward to trying to can some new things next year and maybe try my hand at some homemade jams and jellies. 


No comments:

Post a Comment