Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Charleston Eats

As promised, a post entirely devoted to the amazing food from our recent trip to Charleston/ Isle of Palms, South Carolina.  There is definitely no shortage of fine eating establishments in the Lowcountry, which is just one of the many things I love about the area, gorgeous scenery and amazing people notwithstanding. 
We wasted no time finding great food since the first stop we made was to meet our friends for lunch before we even went to the house! We're all food lovers in this group, so we obviously travel well together :) 
Acme Lowcountry Kitchen had so many delicious things to offer on their menu when we stopped, but I ended up going with the sweet tea brined fried chicken, collard greens and pimento cheese grits (hands down, best grits I've ever eaten, by the way). Caroline shared some of everything on my plate and loved it all!


I only used my iPhone on these pics, so it's not the best quality, but I'm always looking for great new places to try when coming to town, so I want to share. The Lowcountry Kitchen sits right across from the Fire Dept so Caroline kept herself entertained by watching them through the window. Our waitress told us that they let kids tour the firehouse and truck if you stop in and they aren't busy, but we didn't get the chance to that day. 

The next stop on the culinary tour took us to Sullivan's Island and Poe's Tavern. If you're a lover of Edgar Allen Poe, this is the place for you. The decor is very gothic and all inspired from his writings, as are the titles of everything on the menu. I got a Pit and Pendulum burger and wasn't blown away with it. This was probably my least favorite of our food stops, but it was still okay. If anything, the ambiance made it worth a return trip.   


Onto downtown Charleston eateries and what was probably my favorite stop of this trip, 82 Queen.  Opened in 1982 and located at 82 Queen street, this restaurant is true Lowcountry fine dining. We went for lunch, so no formal attire was required, but the food was out of this world!.



Juston, Caroline and myself got a She Crab Soup (my favorite) bowl to split to start and then we all shared a main course of cheese grits topped with a grilled chicken breast, fried green tomato and crab cake with she crab soup drizzle to finish. It's the kind of food that isn't necessarily pretty to look at, but man does it make your tummy HAPPY!


Our last downtown Charleston stop was the Charleston Crab House which is really conveniently located just across from the Charleston City Market. I got BBQ shrimp and grits and it was absolutely delicious. Caroline was a big fan of it as well. When we eat out, we never order her anything of her own besides a drink. She has really tried a wide variety of foods this way and it saves us money as well as the waste since everyone knows most kids don't eat half of what you order them. 




Juston got the crab pot and was in HEAVEN! He is a seafood lover, that man of mine, especially when it's as fresh as what you get in Charleston. Our Goddaughter, Lexi got Mahi Mahi fish tacos and really loved them as well. 



When we were eating at the Crab House, Caroline was looking out the window, watching a woman walking down the street. I didn't pay it much attention, but she turned around as asked me if that lady was going hunting. When I looked a little closer at the lady on the street, she was wearing a camouflage jacket, so since Juston is always decked out in his camo when he comes back from hunting, Caroline put together that camo= hunting time. She's a sharp little one ;)

A few other favorite stops for sweets in Charleston include The Fudgery and the Savannah Candy Kitchen, both located directly across from the market. We visited both of these places. I always bring my dad back the milk chocolate gophers anytime we visit Savannah or Charleston. 

We made one other noteworthy food stop on the trip home and that was at 12 Bones in Asheville, NC. I mean, everything we got was so, so delicious. I got the BBQ, baked beans, macaroni and cornbread and Juston got some massive sandwich with like 4 kinds of pork on it, jalapeno grits (a new favorite of mine) and the best smoked potato salad you ever put in your mouth. I tried my best to find a recipe for something similar when we got home but haven't had any luck yet. If you're ever in our around Asheville, it's definitely worth looking this place up!



Asheville is located in such a beautiful part of the North Carolina mountains and a very cool, albeit trendy, little city. 


So there it is, our grand feast of a trip through the Lowcountry. Ironically, I almost always lose weight when we visit Charleston. Even though we eat like kings, we walk I'd say a good 4 miles or more through the course of the days. I also brought along my resistance band and worked out during Caroline's naps every day we were there, but probably not enough to cancel out the delicious food we had. If you have any food recommendations in Charleston, please share them! We're heading back in a fe months and are always looking for new places to try. Top of my list is Hall's Chophouse. That one is non-negotiable. We will be stopping there in March!

No comments:

Post a Comment