Monday, February 16, 2015

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day was a fun one this year. I feel like it's one of those holidays that's not really a holiday, more an opportunity for companies to profit. I fall strongly in the camp that if you love someone, you show it every day, not just one appointed day each year, but, we still decided to take a little half day trip to Lexington for some fun. We've never done the whole eating out thing for Valentine's unless I really don't feel like cooking, which is rare, but I did request a morning date at a restaurant.

Nothing says 'I love you' like chicken minis and hash browns from Chick-fil-A :)




We made it just in time for breakfast at 10:35. Skin of our teeth. If you live close to a Chick-Fil-A, you don't know the disappointment of finally passing one only to realize you've just missed chicken mini serving hours. 


We let Caroline play in the kids area for awhile before we headed over to Hamburn to run a few errands, the first of which was a stop for Caroline since she'd been so good on the drive to Lexington. We went to PetSmart to check out the animals the Lexington Humane Society has for adoption. My cat and one of our dogs came from the Humane Society and they are just the sweetest. Caroline loved walking around looking at all the cats, dogs, turtles, birds, snakes and fish. Juston decided that it was like the zoo, but free. 




I just love animals but I hate not being able to take them all and give them a home. If we had more land, we would have had a few new additions Saturday. After a trip to Michaels, we headed back home just in time to beat the snow squalls making their way across Kentucky. We have sure had some wild weather in the Bluegrass the last few days! As I type, there's about 7 inches of snow on the ground and counting. Have I mentioned that I am NOT a fan of cold and snow? I don't know how people up North do it every year. 


Once we got home, I got started on making Juston his Valentine's present, dinner :) And I even had a super cute little helper the whole time.


I made balsamic skirt steak, roasted rosemary new potatoes, asparagus and bacon risotto. It's one of Juston's favorite meals and everything turned out really good. Probably not the most exciting Valentine's Day, but a really good one if you ask me :) 

In the meantime, I'm sitting here gearing up for a Fat Tuesday celebration we are planning to have tomorrow if people can get out of their homes and over to ours. This snow is not playing around. The Governor just declared a state of emergency and I have not left the house all day. On the bright side, I have gotten so much cleaning and organizing done! It's amazing what you can accomplish around the house when you're told you can't leave it haha. 




No comments:

Post a Comment