Wednesday, August 12, 2015

My Summer Reading List So Far

I have always been a pretty voracious reader, but I have really been on a roll this summer, finishing more books faster than usual in the past few months. I wanted to share some of my favorite summer reads that I have loved so far. I'm including links to them as well if anyone is interested in reading some of my picks. I always by used books from Amazon to save a chunk of change. 



I think I have found a new favorite author. This was the first book of Beth Kendrick's that I have ever read and it was so cute! Not the most cerebral thing, but such a great summer read. I read more to be entertained than anything. It's a replacement for television for me, so this book was perfect. I try never to give up too much in my book posts, so I'll just say the book follows a young, recently divorced woman who has to move back in with her recently widowed mother in her hometown. She is running into old boyfriends and friends, forging new friendships, trying to figure her life out, attempting to help her mother through a rough patch and the story is a fun one to read. And likely one that a lot of women will relate to on some level or another. 




I was so excited for the new MKA book when it came out. I did wait a couple of weeks to buy it since I already had a few books to read ahead of this one and I wanted to buy one used. It was a quick read, but I have to be honest here. As far as MKA books go, this was definitely not one of my favorites of hers. I feel like her last two have just sort of wrapped up too quickly and left out some details that are pretty pertinent to the story. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but I wouldn't put it in her top five. I really love her books, so I always have very high expectations when I pick one up. The overall story here is one of a Hollywood location scout who happens upon an old, non-tourist infiltrated beach town in Florida as the location for a film she's working on with a hot hip hop artist and high profile starlet. The book follows along as the female lead has to deal with the town's mayor, who isn't so keen on the film coming to town, as well as problems that pop up with the film itself, and a struggling relationship with a long gone father. It was worth the read. 




  

I don't know how I got sucked into this trilogy of books, but they read like a Lifetime channel movie and I sort of loved them. I used to love all sorts of supernatural shows when I was younger like Buffy and Charmed and Smallville, so I'd say these books fall in the same vain as those types of shows. I'm apparently trying to fill the void that early 2000's Aaron Spelling WB shows have left in my life. Each book in the trilogy chronicles the story of one of the "sisters" who are descendant of the original sisters who created Three Sisters Island. Each has a magical gift derived from one of the elements. There are plenty of twists and turns and lots of action to keep you flipping the pages if you're into these sorts of books. 



I'm obviously in a magical mood with my recent reads. I have read every one of Sarah Addison Allen's books since I found Garden Spells shortly after it came out years ago and I've loved them all. I'm not completely finished with this one yet, but it has the same lyrical writing and mystical quality that kept me turning pages in every other one of her books. I'm about halfway though this one and loving it. 

So what is everyone else reading? I'm always on the lookout for my next great book. I have a few on my list to finish after this one, including Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman. I think that will be the next one I tackle after this one. I also have a few Lowcountry books by Dorthea Benton Frank and Mary Alice Monroe, two of my other favorites.

I've also added some new hair accessories to my Etsy shop recently for anyone interested. I have some fun Fall prints as well as SEC edition headbands and bows on the way that will be added sometime in the next couple of weeks as well. 











I've had fun making the new (to me) wrap style headbands and newborn knot hats. I have a lot more fabric choices coming in over the next little bit that I can't wait to share. You can follow along with the shop on Instagram @thecarolineco .  I've had the little Etsy shop for a bit now, but didn't have a very wide selection or dedicate a huge chunk of time to it, but now I am starting to get rolling with designing and making new merchandise and am loving it. Hope everyone has a great day today!












No comments:

Post a Comment