Tuesday, March 21, 2017

My Fitness Five



Y'all...I've been a bad girl when it comes to my diet and fitness the last couple of months. Honestly, with Juston gone all the time, it's just been pushed to the back burner and I'm lucky if I manage three workouts and a couple of runs in a good week.  For perspective, I like to hit the weights at the gym five days a week for about 30 minutes and I try to log between 7-10 miles running weekly. I can't tell you the last time I was able to do both of those things in a week. I absolutely loathe when my workouts aren't on track because it affects everything else in my life. I don't sleep as well, I tend to indulge a bit too much with sweet treats (my weakness) and I just don't feel like I'm firing on all cylinders. I'm a grump when my healthy lifestyle isn't a priority. My weight hasn't gone up and my pants still fit, I just don't feel the way I like. Once you've felt great in your skin, it's hard to accept anything less.  With a move on the horizon, a new career venture and two kids, my schedule may not let up anytime soon, but I'm always looking for easy ways to make my health a priority and make healthy choices easier. I thought I'd share my "Fitness Five" which is basically my simplified list of ways to incorporate health and wellness into each day without committing much extra time.  I know that may sound selfish, but don't my kids deserve me at my best?



1. Move Every Day.  
Sounds simple, right? That's because it is. But I'm not talking about just walking from your front door to your car. Or your parking spot to the store. Move in a way that engages your muscles or increases your heart rate. I do 5 sets of 10 pushups and 10 squats every night before bed. Every day its nice, I take the kids for a walk around the neighborhood.  Another simple option is to walk a mile as fast as you can. Do it on your lunch break, get up twenty minutes earlier and walk before your family is up or before work, do some body weight exercises at your desk or if you're a stay at home parent, use your kids for added weight;)



2. Drink Like a Fish
Sorry to be a downer, but this rule only applies to water, not juice, alcohol, tea, etc. I try to down a tumbler of water every hour of the day and as soon as my cup is empty, I fill it right back up before I forget. Your bladder will adjust after a few days, no worries.  My tumbler is 16 ounces and I'd say I empty it roughly 10 times a day. Also, I always start my day with a glass of lemon water.  I drink it before I drink or eat anything else. The benefits of lemon water are numerous. See the list above.



3. Prioritize rest when possible
I know you can't always get eight hours of sleep. Trust me, I have two kids and babies sleep can be unpredictable, but do your best to rest and sleep when you can. I feel best when I've slept 7-8 hours. I'm honestly just as tired if I sleep more than that as I am if I've slept less than that. Is anyone else this way or am I just weird? For me, a lot of nights I have to choose between cleaning up my house and getting to bed thirty minutes sooner. I usually choose bed. The mess can wait and it'll just re-appear within an hour of the kids being up anyway. Unless we have company coming over, the mess can wait. 


4. Find a way to unwind
What helps you relax? Reading a good book? A Bubble bath? Reading a good book in a bubble bath? For me, I love to read, journal, organize, declutter and workout. These are the things that help calm my mind in some form or another, so I try and make time for one or two of these activities on the weekends when Juston is around to help with the kids and I can carve out a bit more time for myself.



5. Get your lift on at home
While it's no gym workout, when I'm not able to get to my gym as often as I'd like, I come up with some at home circuit workouts that I can do with the equipment we have on hand. For me, that includes 5-25 pound dumbbells, a BOSU ball, a medicine ball, a band and an exercise ball. By no means do you need all of that to get an effective workout in your own home, that's just the items I utilize. 

So there you have it; five ways I'm incorporating wellness into our crazy schedule until it changes again in a few weeks once we move. Do y'all have anything you recommend that you do to incorporate health and wellness into your everyday lives? I love hearing other people's tips and tricks as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment