Friday, May 5, 2017

Exterior House Update Plans


If you've been reading here very long, you probably know that we've bought a house in the town we'll be moving to eventually. Juston has been there since January working but he still comes home on the weekends. It took us awhile to find a house, and when we finally did, it's a nice, sound house, but there are a lot of little cosmetic things that we are in the process of fixing before we'll officially move our furniture and ourselves in. It was built in 1990 and not much has been done to it since then aside from adding some granite to the original cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms. 

 Juston has been renting a place there up until last week when he finally moved into the house. He's been busy as a bee scraping the textured ceilings off of every. single. inch of the house. Literally, that stuff was even in the closets. `Once the texture was off, the ceilings had to be sanded and then painted. He's in the process of those steps now, then we're painting every single room. Once that is done, we'll move everything from our home in Maysville out there. It's a few hours from home, but still in Kentucky. The kids and I will split our time between Maysville and the new house so that I can continue working with my real estate office here. It's crazy, but we're making it work. 

I thought I'd share the plans for the exterior of the house since those are in process as well right now. Here is the exterior of the house as it looked last week when the kids and I went out for a few days to visit. 


Since this photo, we've removed the shutters and I've almost finished painting them all Historic Charleston Green by Sherwin Williams. The already look SO much better. I also ordered some shutter hardware to add. I'll be the first to say that I hate faux shutters, but we're not going to sink a huge amount of money into functioning shutters on a house that we know we don't want to be in long term. Here's the hardware I ordered. 

I'm also planning on adding window boxes to the four windows around the front door. I'll paint those the same color as the shutters. I'm also changing out the front door hardware and the lights on the front of the house to what's pictured below. 


These will replace the lights that are currently on either side of the front door. 



And this will be the new front door hardware. I'm sort of obsessed with it. I'm not 100% that I'll do another pineapple knocker. I just love the one I have now, but part of me wanting to do something different this time, like maybe this bee door knocker. 



Then there's the matter of the color of the front door to contend with. I've narrowed it down to two colors that I'm really loving, but which color will likely depend on what we do with the rest of the exterior...I'll get to that in a minute, but here are the two door colors I'm loving. 


Both colors are by Benjamin Moore; the first is Coral Spice and the second is Wythe Blue. I think the choice will ultimately come down to whether or not we paint the whole house. I have this vision in my head of how amazing the house could look painted a rich, creamy white, something like what's pictured below.


We're going to start with seeing the shutters back up with the new paint on them before deciding whether to paint or not, but as it stands, I'm leaning strongly that way. I have a lot of work to do in the landscaping as well to get it shaped up. I'm planning on taking a LOT of what's currently there completely out and adding flowering perennials like hydrangeas (my favorite) azeleas, etc. 

I'm also strongly considering painting the front steps since I feel like they would look great that way. I just saw so much potential in this house when we looked at it and I'm excited to put some love into to and bring it back to life. Everything about the house inside and out when we bought it was very brown/tan. I'm so excited to transform it and hopefully make it pretty. It's nice the way it is now, but I see so much more for it and I'm excited to share the transformation here with anyone who happens to read her (Hi mom!). 

Oh and one other small change we're doing with the exterior is making the house symmetrical. We'll be adding a porch on the right side (as you're looking at it) to balance out the big garage on the left side. 


So what do you think? Do we paint the brick or leave it alone? Paint the steps or leave the bland concrete? The only thing that causes me hesitance at all is the fact that you can't un-paint it. Once that paint is on there, you're stuck with it, but I honestly think it will look incredible and just awaken the entire place. Keep checking back here for more updates to the place and to see where the great paint debate ends up! Happy Derby Weekend, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment