Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Charleston

For an early anniversary gift, Juston surprised me with a trip to Charleston for just the two of us. He knows me so well, because there's nothing he could have given me that I'd want more, unless it was a house in Charleston;) I thought I'd post a quick recap of our trip. We are literally home for less than 24 hours and then heading out on another trip. I'll be sure and post about that one next week. It's a place we've never been before, so I'm excited to explore a new city with the kids. 

This post will be heavy on the pictures, not so much on words. 

Lobster Roll from The Darling. 


We met some great friends of ours who live in Daniel Island for lunch our first day in town. We'd been wanting to give The Darling oyster bar a try for quite some time now, so that's where we ended up meeting. I got the lobster roll and it was really great. I've never had a New England lobster roll before, so I'm not sure how it compares, but it was wonderful. 

We had our anniversary dinner at Hall's Chophouse, which is always a favorite! They brought us free champagne and a free drink with our desert. It was such a fabulous meal. Some of the best fried okra ever.


I can't know for sure, but if Instagram is any indication, this pretty coral door on Tradd Street is one of the most photographed on the peninsula. It's easy to see why. 



Tradd st

 Queen st. 

Juston and I actually have a Gorgon Wheeler original painting of the home above that we purchased on a visit a few years ago. I love it so much, but we have yet to hand it anywhere. 


For breakfast on day two, we walked to Hominy Grill (and got rained on), but it was worth the walk. Juston got Geechee catfish and grits and it was so incredible, I kept sneaking bites because I played it safe with egg and cheese grits. 

After lots of shopping and walking, we made our way to Poogan's Porch, which has always been one of our favorites. We split the pimento cheese fritters, pictured below and they were as delicious as ever. I got my usual BLT pimento cheese and Juston chose the fried green tomatoes. They were good, not great. I think for me, after having had fried green tomato perfection at Magnolia's restaurant, nothing else will compare. 




 Post lunch meant more shopping and walking, where I captured some of these photos.



 


I made my way to Sugar Bakeshop on Cannon st. It's sort of out of the way if you're walking, but Cannon street is undergoing a bit of a revitalization. It's not in the greatest part of town, but it doesn't feel unsafe walking the street during the day at all. I got Juston and myself some small caramel cupcakes. They were good, but I think I still prefer Cupcakes on King. 

For dinner, we went to another favorite, 82 Queen. This was our favorite overall experience of this particular trip. The service was top notch and the food is always over the top. 82 Queen has my favorite she crab soup in town that I have tried, and I have tried it in a LOT of places. Nothing beats 82 Queens' she crab soup in my opinion. Juston and I split the BBQ shrimp and grits seen below. They are very tasty, but light on the BBQ flavor and heavy on the bacon and cheese.

 




I snapped this beauty of Rainbow Row on our way out of town. We stayed downtown at the King Charles Inn and really liked. It wasn't my favorite place we've stayed downtown, but only because there isn't much in the way of scenery. The website for the hotel talks up the "scenic private balcony" that was to come with our room...it overlooked a parking lot, so "scenic" is a generous term, but the hotel itself is beautifully decorated and the staff was very friendly. It was another great trip to the city that captured our heart ten years ago. We'll be heading back late this fall and I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment